Practical Tips to practise over the holidays:
- Putting on their own shoes and coat.
- Dressing themselves in their own school uniform and p.e kit.
- Toileting alone and wash hands?
- Being aware of their own property ie; lunch box/drink/school bag/clothing.
- Writing their name and recognising it.
- Help them use a knife and fork if accessing school dinners or to open pots/lids/packets etc if having packed lunch.
- Encourage them to hold a pencil/pen correctly.
- Practise how to use scissors correctly.
- Play games to ensure turn taking.
- Label everything
- Be positive when speaking about your child’s next stage of education.
The Pacey website has a ‘Starting School Together booklet’, a useful children’s reading book to buy called ‘Harry and the Dinosaurs go to School’ with supporting activities and a ‘Supporting School Readiness plan’.